OpenID Connect (OIDC) is an authentication and authorization protocol based on OAuth 2.0. It links the authentication of two distinct applications to allow users of one application to automatically log in to third-party applications that do not share the same user base.
For BlueMind, this allows a user to access an external service directly from their messaging application, without the need to authenticate again in the external service.
Among the first available connectors are Cisco Webex and Zoom. The Cisco Webex connector, for example, allows users to schedule and start a Webex video conference directly from their BlueMind messaging application without having to enter their Webex login credentials every time.
OpenID Connect allows BlueMind to interface with many applications and offers several advantages!
- Enhanced security: OIDC uses advanced security standards, such as JSON Web Tokens (JWT), to ensure the authenticity of the user and protect sensitive user information against malicious attacks.
- Simplified authentication: With OIDC, users can log in to a third-party service without having to re-enter their login credentials.
- Easy integration: OIDC is designed to easily integrate with other services and applications, making it easier to implement single sign-on (SSO) and centralized user management.
- Improved user experience: Authentication with OIDC offers a smooth and uninterrupted user experience, as users do not need to enter their login credentials every time they access a third-party service.
- Standardization: OIDC is an open standard, widely adopted by the industry and supported by many vendors, making it easier for interoperability and integration between different systems.
In a nutshell, the implementation of OpenID Connect in BlueMind provides users with a standard, convenient, and secure authentication solution for accessing third-party applications such as Webex and Zoom.
These applications also benefit from functional integration in BlueMind, allowing users to easily schedule and organize video conferences directly from their messaging application. This allows users to work more productively and efficiently using a single and consistent working environment.